Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Jan 18th 2015 - I brought Harry into the world.

 - Let's just say I didn't sleep too well the night before, I'm not sure if it was excitement, nerves or something else. I was even woken up 30 minutes before my alarm due to a lovely earthquake (damn you nature), not to mention waking up every hour because baby Harry was dancing on my bladder all night, but I didn't care!! Jan 18th was baby day.

 - My induction was set for 8am, so Martin and I arrived at the hospital and Laura and David and their daughter arrived soon after. We all got settled into a room and waited for instructions (my mom was also with us to help for the delivery - even though it was her day off).

 - Around 10am the doctor told the nurse (also my moms friend) to start me off with Cytotec (used to ripen the cervix). This is placed into the vagina for around 4 hours.
 - At 12 o clock, I could feel some contractions and I wanted to get up and start walking around to get things moving more quickly.
 - At 2pm my doctor came in to check me. 4cm. (I was previously 2-3cm). She also broke my bag of water to get things moving.
 - The next few hours started to get tough. Stronger contractions, closer together. So I decided to get the epidural
 - Epidural was placed around 5pm and I was 5cm at this point.
 - I was feeling much better around 6pm, so I fell asleep for a little while.
 - I woke up around 7pm, the nurse checked me and I was 9 and a half centimeters but baby was still pretty high (station -2). I quickly text Martin and Kailey (my fellow surro friend, who is also my photographer) to come back to the room as things were going to happen soon enough.
A few minutes later was shift change, although my moms friend stayed because we were getting close to delivery, a new nurse (also my moms friend) came in to check me and his head was right there and ready to be born.

 - I held Laura's hand and I could see her excitement and her nerves. The nurses put a gown on Laura, so Harry could be handed to her right away for skin to skin contact.
I was told to push and in 3 pushes Harry was out.
Happy Birthday Harry!!!
I instantly looked at Laura's face so I could see her emotions, and all she was saying, "Thank you Sammie". I kept bouncing my head back and forth between Laura and Harry and seeing them made me very emotional. I instantly balled my eyes out with happiness. I did this. I helped her be a mommy again. Seeing her reaction to him being born is indescribable, there are no words powerful enough to describe it, it is just incredible. David and daughter were also in the room, but keeping a little out of sight (David is squeemish). Seeing their faces light up has got to be the most amazing moment, David was Skyping with his family to give them the great news of Harry being born.

 - Afterwards, Harry was weighed at exactly 8lb and 19 Inches long. (My smallest baby to give birth to).
 - Laura and David then gave me a little gift. A bracelet with my children's names on, which also said Thanks.
The best was yet to come, as I opened my gift and saw it (It was beautiful btw), then announced they were going to name the baby after me - giving him the middle name of "Sam". I was sooo overwhelmed with emotion (all good ones) that I instantly cried and hugged my husband. What an amazing gift to give a surrogate.
 - All the hard work was totally worth it. Every single part of it. The waiting, the pain, the emotions, the rush and seeing their faces.
My journey ends here, and theirs is just beginning.

As soon as Harry was born. Both of us were crying with happiness. (Had to blur the face for confidential reasons)

Holding my IM's hand.

Beyond happy for the new family

Did I mention I cut the cord

Sharing the moment. Mommy, Daddy and Harry

Here he is

Mommy couldn't take her eyes off him 

8lb exactly

Welcome to the world little boy.... I love you to the moon and back <3

I will give more updates as I know them. My IPs are staying in San Diego until the middle of February, so I am happy that I get to spend the next month with them as often as I can. Although, I do want to give them their own space whilst becoming a family of four.
I wish I could post some of the pictures for you all to see... My friend captured the most amazing emotions in the room and I wish I could share them. I'll try and edit and blur faces if I get the parents permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment